As our demands for water are increasing, our water supply is decreasing. At the same time, the efforts involved in correcting our water problems may seem as feathers in the wind. However, there one easy way you can help — check your toilet for leaks.
Did you know?
• Each time you flush your toilet you are using up to 3-5 gallons of water per flush. This especially holds true if your toilet is more than 10 years-old.
• On top of every day toilet use, a running/leaking toilet can waste as much as 500 gallons of water per day. In Boulder County, this can add up to approximately $1227 wasted per year for an average size home and family.
Check your toilet for leaks.
A running toilet can be determined by sound.
1. Is your toilet making a sound less than one minute after a flush?
2. Does your toilet make on-and-off sounds throughout the day and night.
If you answered, yes, to either 1. or 2. you have a leaking toilet.
Test for a silent leak — a silent leak is undetectable unless tested.
1. Lift lid off of your toilet tank.
2. Put 10 drops of food coloring inside the tank.
3. Replace lid and wait 15 minutes. (DO NOT FLUSH).
If the coloring appears inside the bowl you have a silent toilet leak.
Don’t juggle the handle.
If your toilet handle sticks, replace it or get it fixed.
Avoiding this quick fix will cost less to repair than the water waste you are paying for.
What can you do to prevent water and money waste?
• Replace your old toilet if your toilet is more than 10 years-old.
• Repair running or leaking toilets.
• Repair or replace sticking toilet handles.
Water is becoming a valuable resource — as there is no substitute for water. Altogether, we must do what’s possible to conserve water (while saving money on our water bills).
Colorado Green Plumbing is and family-owned business, our first-rate standing in the marketplace is our top priority‚ this is why we only hire good-natured plumbers who are professionally trained and licensed — through either word-of-mouth or our evaluation program. In addition, all of our employees have been field-tested, capability-tested, drug-tested and background checked. Last but not least, never, will we attempt to sell you something you don’t need. We believe our honest approach is why we’re tried-and-true — our 36 years in the plumbing trade speaks non-stop proficiency and dedication to you — our customer.
Our Plumbing Specialties
• Tankless Water Heaters
• Garbage Disposals
• Water Filtration Systems
• Sinks, Bathtubs, Showers and Toilets
• Plumbing Hardware and Fixtures
• Plumbing System Maintenance
Thank you for reading.
Have a question?
How can we serve you?
“Never, will we attempt to sell you something you don’t need. We believe our honest approach is why we’re tried-and-true — our 36 years in the plumbing trade speaks non-stop proficiency and dedication to you — our customer.”
— Mike Lingenfelter Founder + Master Plumber + President
— Paul Lingenfelter Vice President + Master Plumber
— The Colorado Green Plumbing Team